Lincoln's Gettysburg Address and Stovepipe Hat Shirt
Our exclusive design, the Gettysburg Address depicted on Lincoln's signature stovepipe hat.
See below for the historical background and more from the speech.
- 100% American grown cotton 5.5 oz shirt in Blue jean. Our softest 100% cotton shirt. Garment-dyed. XS - 3X. See size chart.
- Our standard 4.3 oz. Poly-Cotton shirt in Warm grey that gets rave reviews. Our softest shirt. It's also our thinnest and lightest. It is very high-quality and long-wearing, but it is thin and light. Lots of people love them, which you can see in the reviews, but if you judge t-shirt quality based on weight or thickness, do not get this one. Instead, get the 100% cotton shirt. If you're looking for our softest shirt, the one people rave about, this is the one. XS - 3X. See size chart.
Note that the $3 price difference for the 100% cotton Made in the USA shirt is our higher wholesale cost; there is no additional margin.
Historical Background Behind the Design
President Lincoln delivered his brief remarks during the dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, on the afternoon of November 19, 1863, four and a half months after the Union armies defeated Confederate forces at the Battle of Gettysburg.
"Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
"Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war.
"We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives, that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But, in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate—we cannot hallow—this ground.
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract.
"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.
"It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
Edward Everett, considered the nation's greatest orator at that time, was the main speaker, not Lincoln. Everett spoke for two hours—you can read his speech here—and he was followed by a musical selection. Lincoln spoke next. His remarks lasted about two minutes.
Design © 2018 Larry Stuart Studio.
Flat-rate shipping: Regardless of the number of items you order, the shipping price is still fixed at $5.95 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs. And $8.95 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
Our flat rate shipping means you can add two or more t-shirts, sweatshirts, or caps for no additional shipping charge.
We try to ship orders within three business days of receiving them. This applies to in-stock items. Framed items or items requiring personalization may take up to two weeks longer.
We close for a week over Independence Day and Christmas. A notice will appear at the top of every page of the site in advance of this closure.
We ship most orders via USPS, so if the post office is closed, we won't be shipping orders that day.
If you need to receive your order by a certain date, such as to give as a gift or have for a trip, we recommend ordering at least two weeks in advance, especially if you are use USPS shipping.
If you're looking for reliable, on-time deliveries, we strongly suggest upgrading to "UPS 3 Business Day Select Shipping."
- When fulfillment takes longer, such as around the Christmas holidays, we'll put up an announcement in the site and will list recommended shipping deadlines below.
- If an item is out of stock, we will contact you.
- If one of your items is an advance order, that will be noted on the product page along with an estimate of when it will ship. If that estimated date changes, the product page will be updated.
Charges for shipping to destinations in the United States and to APO, DPO, and FPO addresses
- Free shipping
- On stickers, magnets, decals, patches, static clings, and individual button pins.
US Postal Service shipping - The least expensive, though also less reliable than UPS. We strong recommend selecting UPS (details below), especially during November and December.
$5.95 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
Regardless of the number of items you order, the shipping price is still fixed at $5.95. Our flat rate shipping means you can add another t-shirt, cap, or book for no additional shipping charge.
$8.95 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
- UPS 3 Business Day Select
- $14.95 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
$18.95 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
- If the actual shipping cost is much, much higher than what we’re charging, we reserve the right to contact customers to discuss options.
- UPS Overnight (Next Business Day Delivery)
Limited to US Postal Service International Service only.
- Canada and Mexico
- $18.00 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
$24.00 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
- Rest of the World
- Rates starts at $65.00.
Additional charges for all destinations
Some large, heavy items may have an additional shipping charge. If that's the case, it will be noted on the product page.
All designs are copyrighted by The History List
All designs are copyrighted by The History List
All designs are copyrighted by The History List and the History Nerd text and design on t-shirts is a registered trademark. If you see a knock off, please let me know.
Your purchases support our mission to engage people with local history and to support historic sites and history organizations across the country.
comfortable shirt and fun to wear
As a high school history teacher I love the idea of being able to have historical products to have in my classroom and share on casual days with my students. They love the fact that I am so passionate about the subject I teach and it gives them something to look forward to and guess what new shirt or sticker or product I bought!
Lincoln was my favorite President. This is a great way to show my appreciation for his most memorable speech.
I bought this shirt for my husband and he loves it! Soft, well made, quality shirt. He and I both love supporting The History List. It's a purchase we can feel good about!
I love this shirt - and every other shirt I have gotten from The History List. They are comfortable and fun. I wear them to school and use them as a fun way to review material we have been over in class. The students have great fun trying to figure out the symbolism or sayings on the shirt.