John Paul Jones “I have not yet begun to fight!” Shirt
|Minimum Cart Quantity||Discount||Wholesale Price|
Our original design, with John Paul Jones holding his saber aloft, with the Serapis flag tied to it, striding proudly printed on the front, and on the back of the shirt, his famous quote and other things from his life.
The shirt: Your choice of fabrics and colors:
- 100% cotton Made in the USA shirt in Heather grey. Grown, knitted, dyed, and sewn in the USA. 4.4 oz Your best choice if you're looking for a 100% Made in the USA shirt. S- 3X. See size chart.
- Our standard 4.3 oz. poly-cotton shirt in Light blue heather that gets rave reviews for being so soft. It is very high-quality and long-wearing. It's also our thinnest and lightest. Lots of people love them, which you can see in the reviews, but if you judge t-shirt quality based on weight or thickness, do not get this one. Instead, get the 100% cotton shirt above. If you're looking for our softest shirt, the one people rave about, this is the one. S - 3X. See size chart.
Comes with a special hang tag written by author J.L. Bell that includes a historical background about John Paul Jones's immortal quote, "I have not yet begun to fight!" The full text is below.
Historical Background Behind the Design
John Paul, born in Scotland in 1747, went to sea at thirteen. By his early twenties, he was a captain - with a reputation for harshness after he killed a sailor in a fight over wages. To avoid legal troubles, John Paul adopted the surname "Jones" and sailed to America.
When thirteen British colonies allied to seek independence, John Paul Jons offered his maritime experience to their Continental Congress. As hard as Jones fought British armed ships, however, he feuded with other American captains more. Eventually Captain Jones was sent off to hunt British shipping in the eastern Atlantic alongside the French navy.
Jones's most famous fight was a ferocious battle off the English coast in September 1779. Invited to surrender his ship Bonhomme Richard, he declared, "I have not yet begun to fight," and captured the Royal Navy's Serapis. Jones sailed his new flagship into a neutral Dutch port.
At the time, American diplomats in Europe understood their flag to have a blue canton with thirteen white stars and "thirteen stripes, alternatively red, white, and blue." So that was how the Serapis's new flag was entered into Dutch records - not in accord with the Congress's 1777 guidelines.
At the end of the Revolutionary War, Jones received a French knighthood and became an admiral for Russia, but he still got into controversies. The mariner died on an American diplomatic mission in France in 1792. Historians drew on his reports and memoirs to make John Paul Jones a signal hero of the U.S. Navy
— John Bell, author, The Road to Concord and Boston1775.
And thanks also to John for recommending the Serapis flag.
For shipments to addresses within the U.S. (scroll down for International shipping)
Flat-rate shipping: Regardless of the number of items you order, the shipping price for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, and button packs is $5.95.
For hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets, the shipping cost is $8.95.
Our flat rate shipping means you can add two or more t-shirts, sweatshirts, or caps for no additional shipping charge.
Note that some large or heavy items may have an additional shipping charge, and when they do, that will be noted on the product page.
We try to ship orders within three business days of receiving them. This applies to in-stock items. Framed items or items requiring personalization may take up to two weeks longer.
We close for a week over Independence Day and Christmas. A notice will appear at the top of every page of the site in advance of this closure.
We ship most orders via USPS, so if the post office is closed, we won't be shipping orders that day.
If you need to receive your order by a certain date, such as to give as a gift or have for a trip, we recommend ordering at least two weeks in advance, especially if you are using USPS shipping.
If you're looking for reliable, on-time deliveries, we strongly suggest upgrading to "UPS 3 Business Day Select Shipping."
- When fulfillment takes longer, such as around the Christmas holidays, we'll put up an announcement in the site and will list recommended shipping deadlines below.
- If an item is out of stock, we will contact you.
- If one of your items is an advance order, that will be noted on the product page along with an estimate of when it will ship. If that estimated date changes, the product page will be updated.
Charges for shipping to destinations in the United States and to APO, DPO, and FPO addresses
- Free shipping
- On stickers, magnets, decals, patches, static clings, and individual button pins.
US Postal Service shipping - The least expensive, though also less reliable than UPS. (See more on UPS in the next section.)
$5.95 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
Regardless of the number of items you order, the shipping price is still fixed at $5.95. Our flat rate shipping means you can add another t-shirt, cap, or book for no additional shipping charge.
$8.95 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
UPS 3 Business Day Select
Note: UPS 3 Business Day select is not available for addresses in Hawaii and Alaska. If UPS is selected for Hawaii or Alaska, the order will be shipped UPS Ground.
- $14.95 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
$18.95 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
- If the actual shipping cost is significantly higher than what we’re charging, we will contact you to discuss alternatives.
- UPS Overnight (Next Business Day Delivery)
For shipments to addresses outside the United StatesDestinations
We only ship to locations that are served by US Postal Service International Service.
- Canada and Mexico
- $18.00 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
$24.00 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
- Rest of the World
- Rates starts at $65.00.
Additional charges for all destinations
Some large, heavy items may have an additional shipping charge. If that's the case, it will be noted on the product page.
If the actual shipping cost is significantly higher than what we’re charging, we will contact you to discuss alternatives.
All original designs are copyrighted by The History List
All original designs are copyrighted by The History List
All designs are copyrighted by The History List and the History Nerd text and design on t-shirts is a registered trademark. If you see a knock off, please let me know.
Your purchases support our mission to engage people with local history and to support historic sites and history organizations across the country.
Every item I have bought has been great. This one is no exception.
Got it as a gift for my father who is Revolutionary War reenactor, and history buff. He loved it.