The Battle of the Bulge Hooded sweatshirt
Updated June 3: All advance orders have been shipped out.
Thank you for the tremendous support of this new design. — Lee
Our original design is available on a Made in America shirt and a vintage option and includes these historical references:
- What became known as the "Battle of the Bulge" was the Ardennes Offensive, and the response of the Allies, the Ardennes Counteroffensive.
- The battle lasted for five weeks from December 16, 1944 to January 28, 1945, towards the end of the war in Europe.
- The 101st Airborne Division was surrounded at Bastogne and being shelled.
- "NUTS" was the (probably sanitized) reply from Brig. Gen. Anthony Mcauliffe to the letter from the attacking German Forces offering an opportunity to surrender.
- An excerpt from Mcauliffe's Christmas Letter to his troops:
We are giving our country and our loved ones at home a worthy Christmas present and being privileged to take part in this gallant feat of arms are truly making for ourselves a Merry Christmas.
/s/ A. C. McAULIFFE
- The Sherman Cobra King that broke through to link up with the 101st Airborne Division on the outskirts of Bastogne on December 26.
- The line running down the center is a tracing from the map of enemy positions on December 25.
Includes a card with the entire Christmas letter that McAuliffe had distributed to his troops, the letter from the German Commander offering McAuliffe the opportunity to surrender his encircled troops, and the propaganda flier that the the Germans distributed to American troops encouraging them to desert.
- Military green - Comfortable and durable 50% cotton/50% polyester hooded sweatshirt. Matching drawcord and extra large pocket. Double-needle stitched armholes and waistband. 7.8 ounce. Sizes: S-4X. See size chart.
All shirts are printed in New England.
Included with every shirt: A 5" x 8" card with an image of Brig. Gen. Anthony McAuliffe’s 1944 Christmas letter to his troops, and on the back, the typed offer to negotiate a surrender that the Germans presented and the propaganda flier that the Germans dropped.
This design is also available in a crewneck shirt for men and women, a women's v-neck shirt, and a long-sleeve shirt.
Browse through all the original designs in our WWII collection, including Pearl Harbor, Midway, "V" for Victory with all of the battles listed, History Nerd paratrooper / Operation Overlord, Operation Market Garden, She's a W.O.W., a print with more than 100 posters from the homefront, our Victory pin, and more.
Historical accounts and background
The US Army's account of the "NUTS" reply.
Sherman Jumbo "Cobra King"
Company C, 37th Tank Battalion, 4th Armored Division
As shown in the photo above, the M4A3E2 Sherman Cobra King is now on display at the National Museum of the United States Army outside of Washington, DC.
This is the text on the panel beside the tank:
"M4A3E2 Sherman Cobra King links up with encircled defenders of the 101st
Airborne Division on the outskirts of the town of Bastogne on 26 December
1944. The breakthrough opened the way for Allied forces to begin the counteroffensive that ended the Battle of the Bulge. In March 1945, Cobra King was put out of action during the unsuccessful mission to liberate American prisoners of war at a POW camp near Hammelburg, Germany.
- 1st Lt. Charles P. Boggess,
- Cpl. Milton Dickerman,
- Pvt. James G. Murphy,
- Pvt. Hubert S. Smith, and
- Pvt. Harold Hafner after the Bastogne linkup."
Here's the story of how the tank was tracked down and authenticated in 2008.
Thanks to Larisa Chancellor for the suggestion and to Martin Quinn and Mike Manning for reviewing the historical details.
For shipments to addresses within the U.S. (scroll down for International shipping)
Flat-rate shipping: Regardless of the number of items you order, the shipping price for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, and button packs is $5.95.
For hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets, the shipping cost is $8.95.
Our flat rate shipping means you can add two or more t-shirts, sweatshirts, or caps for no additional shipping charge.
Note that some large or heavy items, including larger framed prints, may have a different shipping charge or a shipping surcharge. When they do, it will be noted on the product page.
We try to ship orders within three business days of receiving them. This applies to in-stock items. Framed items or items requiring personalization may take up to two weeks longer. If there is an extended delay, it will be noted on the product page.
We close for a week over Independence Day and Christmas. A notice will appear at the top of every page of the site in advance of this closure.
We ship most orders via USPS, so if the post office is closed, we won't be shipping orders that day.
If you need to receive your order by a certain date, such as to give as a gift or have for a trip, we recommend ordering at least two weeks in advance, especially if you are using USPS shipping.
If you're looking for reliable, on-time deliveries, we strongly suggest upgrading to "UPS 3 Business Day Select Shipping."
- When fulfillment takes longer, such as around the Christmas holidays, we'll put up an announcement in the site and will list recommended shipping deadlines below.
- If an item is out of stock, we will contact you.
- If one of your items is an advance order, that will be noted on the product page along with an estimate of when it will ship. If that estimated date changes, the product page will be updated.
Charges for shipping to destinations in the United States and to APO, DPO, and FPO addresses
- Free shipping
- On stickers, magnets, decals, patches, static clings, and individual button pins.
US Postal Service shipping - The least expensive, though also less reliable than UPS. (See more on UPS in the next section.)
$5.95 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
Regardless of the number of items you order, the shipping price is still fixed at $5.95. Our flat rate shipping means you can add another t-shirt, cap, or book for no additional shipping charge.
$8.95 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
UPS 3 Business Day Select
Note: UPS 3 Business Day select is not available for addresses in Hawaii and Alaska. If UPS is selected for Hawaii or Alaska, the order will be shipped UPS Ground.
- $14.95 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
$18.95 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
- If the actual shipping cost is significantly higher than what we’re charging, we will contact you to discuss alternatives.
- UPS Overnight (Next Business Day Delivery)
For shipments to addresses outside the United StatesDestinations
We only ship to locations that are served by US Postal Service International Service.
- Canada and Mexico
- $18.00 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
$24.00 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
- Rest of the World
- Rates starts at $65.00.
Additional charges for all destinations
Some large, heavy items may have an additional shipping charge. If that's the case, it will be noted on the product page.
If the actual shipping cost is significantly higher than what we’re charging, we will contact you to discuss alternatives.
All original designs are copyrighted by The History List
All original designs are copyrighted by The History List
All designs are copyrighted by The History List and the History Nerd text and design on t-shirts is a registered trademark. If you see a knock off, please let me know.
Your purchases support our mission to engage people with local history and to support historic sites and history organizations across the country.
More from our WWII Collection
Pearl Harbor “Battleship Row” ShirtRegular price From $ 30.95Regular priceUnit price per
"Victory at Midway" ShirtRegular price From $ 30.95Regular priceUnit price per
WWII Victory Shirt with all of the battles listedRegular price From $ 29.95Regular priceUnit price perNew
D-Day 75th Anniversary shirt with HISTORY NERD® and ParatrooperRegular price From $ 27.95Regular priceUnit price per