Theodore Roosevelt "Signature Series" Leather patch cap
Teddy Roosevelt from his Rough Rider days in our "Signature Series" design, etched on a dark brown USA made leather patch and sewn in your choice of caps.
- Khaki and Navy Two-Tone Cap — Unstructured crown with top button and six sewn eyelets. Curved bill with six rows of stitching. Garment washed, pigment-dyed fabric. Self-fabric slide closure with brass buckle and grommet.
- Military Camo Cap — Distressed style and an unstructured crown with top button and six sewn eyelets. Curved bill with six rows of stitching. Self-fabric hideaway strap with metal D-ring slider.
This design is also in a crewneck shirt.
Explore our other caps in this collection.
The historic event behind the design
There's no name or other explanation on the shirt, which is why we labeled it "for hardcore history folks." We asked our Facebook community to explain the history behind the design:
"The Tea Act of 1773 gave the British East India Company a monopoly on tea sales in America.
On the evening of December 16th, 1773, Bostonians, following the lead of the Sons of Liberty and disguised as Narragansett or Mohawk Indians (sources disagree), boarded three ships and destroyed 342 chests of East India Company tea, which they dumped in the harbor.
The destruction of the tea was the final straw for Parliament and led to the Intolerable Acts of 1774. These closed the port of Boston, instituted a military government, quartered troops among the population, and allowed all British officials charged with a crime to stand trial in Great Britain instead of the Colonies.
Many years later George Hewes, a 31–year–old shoemaker and participant, recalled "We then were ordered by our commander to open the hatches and take out all the chests of tea and throw them overboard. And we immediately proceeded to execute his orders, first cutting and splitting the chests with our tomahawks, so as thoroughly to expose them to the effects of the water."
Thanks to Chuck Burks, Nicole René Shults, Dennis Conley, Janet Raychouni, and Kevin Nelson for their contributions.
As Larisa Moran Prinz commented, "Be a rebel and stump the average person."
Announcement: Pausing shipping for Independence Day week
We are pausing shipping for the week of Independence Day. Place orders by July 1 at noon Eastern an in-stock items that don't require personalization will ship July 1 or July 2. We will resume shipping July 11.
We try to ship orders within three business days of receiving them. This applies to in-stock items. Framed items or items requiring personalization may take up to two weeks longer.
We close for a week over Independence Day and Christmas. A notice will appear at the top of every page of the site in advance of this closure.
We ship most orders via USPS, so if the post office is closed, we won't be shipping orders that day.
If you need to receive your order by a certain date, such as to give as a gift or have for a trip, we recommend ordering at least two weeks in advance, especially if you are use USPS shipping.
If you're looking for reliable, on-time deliveries, we strongly suggest upgrading to "UPS 3 Business Day Select Shipping."
- When fulfillment takes longer, such as around the Christmas holidays, we'll put up an announcement in the site and will list recommended shipping deadlines below.
- If an item is out of stock, we will contact you.
- If one of your items is an advance order, that will be noted on the product page along with an estimate of when it will ship. If that estimated date changes, the product page will be updated.
Charges for shipping to destinations in the United States and to APO, DPO, and FPO addresses
- Free shipping
- On stickers, magnets, decals, patches, static clings, and individual button pins.
US Postal Service shipping - The least expensive, though also less reliable than UPS. We strong recommend selecting UPS (details below), especially during November and December.
$4.95 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
Regardless of the number of items you order, the shipping price is still fixed at $4.95. Our flat rate shipping means you can add another t-shirt, cap, or book for no additional shipping charge.
$7.95 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
- UPS 3 Business Day Select
- $12.95 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
$15.95 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
- If the actual shipping cost is much, much higher than what we’re charging, we reserve the right to contact customers to discuss options.
- UPS Overnight (Next Business Day Delivery)
Limited to US Postal Service International Service only.
- Canada and Mexico
- $18.00 for shirts, caps, unframed prints and posters, bracelets, lapel pins, pendants, button packs.
$24.00 for hooded and crewneck sweatshirts, mugs, and blankets.
- Rest of the World
- Rates starts at $65.00.
Additional charges for all destinations
Some large, heavy items may have an additional shipping charge. If that's the case, it will be noted on the product page.
All designs are copyrighted by The History List
All designs are copyrighted by The History List
All designs are copyrighted by The History List and the History Nerd text and design on t-shirts is a registered trademark. If you see a knock off, please let me know.
Your purchases support our mission to engage people with local history and to support historic sites and history organizations across the country.
Boston Tea Party
Sent as a gift to my nephew who loves history as much as I do. He loved the surprise and said it looks great and fits perfectly.
The quality and the design are excellent.
Great quality, great fit. You keep coming out with Roosevelt items knowing you have at least one customer. Thanks and keep them coming.
Matches my Rough Rider shirt perfectly! Great low rise 'Dad' cap!
As always, The History List, has come through on great ideas for gift ideas for my husband for Christmas. He loves history and loves the shirts and items from this company. He has gotten so many compliments over the years! ❤️
Good image, good cotton.